Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.
Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.
- One thing that I was really surprised to see in THE CROWN was American and Maxon passing the throne to Eadelyn. It was nice to be able to see Eadelyn shortly in charge but, I don't know, it still felt odd to see her takeover so soon.....just me? However, that being said, I did really admire Eadlyn for taking over the throne so her parents could finally spend their time together the way they want
- Eadlyn's choice in Erik was perfect to me! I did like the fact that the guy that was chosen wasn't technically part of the selection (it added some last minute drama)
- My biggest complaint with this book was how rushed the ending was! When Eadlyn drops the "constitutional monarchy" bomb, I desperately wanted to see how that would play out. It seemed like Eadlyn's speech on how the process would work was a way of summarizing it but I wanted all the details. It's too bad that this angle wasn't played out in The Heir and The Crown because I would have found it interesting to actually witness how the monarchy would have been effected by this new way of governing.
- The discovery of Lady Brice being Eadlyn's aunt?! My heart burst with "awww"
- Although I didn't see how Henri and Eadlyn could ever really be a good match because of the language barrier between them, I did think Henri was adorable.
- One of my favourite Eadlyn scenes was when she had the meeting with the advisors and Coddly makes the comment about Eadlyn being "emotional"....Eadlyn's response was perfect! I felt like going into that book and giving her a big high-five
- Once again, I feel the need to emphasize how weird it is to see America and Maxon as parents! They're the same, but different, and it messes with my brain, haha